The past years have been a complete revolutionary in the world of butchery. Twenty or so years ago, when I thought about a butcher shop near me, I most likely thought about a well-worn butcher block, an ancient storefront, some hanging beef in the back, and possibly an old man dressed in a bloodstained smock.
While this travesty certainly was not too far from truth throughout history, there has been butchery rebirth in the recent years and innovative wave of butcher shops has emerged, redefining the public perception of butcher shops and also helping bring grass-fed, organic, local meat to people.
What Does Butchers Do?
Butchers duties range depending on the place of employment. In most local butchers near me, a butcher is responsible for storing and receiving meat products in accordance with the health and sanitary regulations in order to maintain the quality of meat. They package and price meat after cutting, and also prepare meat displays.
Butchers basically know how to tie and roll roasts, cure meat, and prepare sausage. They are knowledgeable in how to cook cut meat for a maximum flavor, and they will give you helpful tips.
Often in meat butchers near me, the butcher’s job includes special order cuts, customer service, negotiation with suppliers, record-keeping and inventory. A butcher in a meat processing plant has a broad set tasks.
They must use special equipment to break, slaughter, trim, bone and cut meat into cuts that will in turn be processed and sold out to people in both international and domestic markets near you.
Read also: Antique mall near me
The butchers are also expected to break down carcass into smaller pieces or processed meats, and many times prepare custom orders to specifications for hotels, institutions and restaurants.
Here are some of the key skills needed to be a butcher:
- Good depth perception and vision
- Good understanding of hygiene practices
- Concentration and ability to pay keen attention to tasks
- Hand-eye coordination
- Ability to communicate with co-workers, customers, and supervisors
- Ability to work in team and independently
- Strength and stamina to work with heavy pieces of meat and stand for long hours.
- A good health- a physical examination must be a prerequisite to employment.
Pros And Cons Of Buying Meat Straight From The Butchers
- Butchers can save you cash: Cheaper meat cuts that most supermarket outlets do not offer are available in butchery if you request. Meat cuts such as the oyster steak, hanger steak, and merlot steak are offered to customers on a budget. Proceed and ask your meat butcher near you about available cuts; there is no shame in the quest for good cheaper meat.
- Butchers can offer you exceptional meats and cuts: In case I am trying to recreate a fanciful dish, chances are that I am likely to miss main ingredient at my local supermarket. Many butchers are carving up the entire animal themselves these days; meaning that they can provide you with every part of the cow, duck, pig etc. With various meat shops near me, pork belly is no longer a dream as I make a call in advance to secure myself a slab.
- Butchers can offer you great nutritional help: We are not saying that I should dump my therapist however, when it calls for meaty questions, my butchers have the best answers. In case, you are unsure on the procedure of preparing certain meat cut, what you need to serve alongside your steak, or even how much meat you need. A good butcher should be in a position to give you answers to such concerns. We advise you to pay a visit to one of your best butcher near you and try out their friendly recipes.
- Your butcher will allow you choose exactly the amount of meat you need: With butchers, you can even decide to buy a slice of bacon and two sausages.
- Butcher shops may not be located conveniently in relation to where you live and this may inconvenience you.
- Some meat in your butcher shops may not be locally sourced especially those in towns hence, you may never be sure of the quality of meat you purchase.
What You Should Consider When Choosing A Butcher Shop
Today’s butcher shops takes a vast range of forms. The old butcher shops are operating on tradition, cutting meat in a similar manner their ancient generation did.
The new local butchers today are committed to building relationships with the local farmers and educating people the benefits and sustainability of whole-animal butchery.
The following are some of the key factors you should consider when choosing the best butcher near you:
- Do they offer sustainable all-natural meat?
- Do they practice the whole-animal butchery, obtained from local hand-picked farms?
- Do they offer training on simple sausage-making, butchery, and the like?
- Do they offer unique meat cuts, and can they cut these to order?
- Do they offer “extras” including charcuterie, sandwiches, and sausages?
- What is their historical relevance? This is one aspect you should never overlook. Some America’s best meat butcher shops does not sell the local pastured meat however, they have been local fixtures for decades, selling high quality expertly meat cuts.
How To Find The Best Butcher Shops Near Me
We recommend Google Search, Google Maps and Yelp to help you find the best butcher shop near you. For the butchers who makes a living by cutting and selling us meat, we salute you! Here is a list of 20 most popular butcher shops in US where you can shop for your cut meat:
- The Butcher & Larder, Chicago
- Lindy & Grundy, Los Angeles
- The Local Butcher Shop, Berkeley, Calif
- The Meat Hook, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Fleisher’s Grass-Fed and Organic Meats, Kingston & Brooklyn, N.Y.
- The Swinery, Seattle
- Publican Quality Meats, Chicago
- Dickson’s Farmstand Meats, New York City
- Saugatuck Craft Butchery, Westport, Conn.
- Avedano’s Holly Park Market, San Francisco
- Revival Market, Houston
- Savenor’s Butcher & Market, Boston
- Gepperth’s Market, Chicago
- Porter Road Butcher, Nashville, Tenn.
- Harvey’s Guss Meat Company, Los Angeles
- Olivier’s Butchery, San Francisco
- The Organic Butcher, McLean & Charlottesville, Va.
- Bill The Butcher, Seattle
- Giovanni Esposito & Sons, New York City
- Gartner’s Country Meat Market, Portland, Ore.